This guide answers the most common questions about Home Phone.
- Who are your Home Phone packages available to?
- What options are available and how much are they?
- What call features are available?
- What's the minimum contract period?
- Who will I pay my phone bills to?
- How much does it cost to make a call?
- Can I make Emergency or Operator calls?
- I'm already a broadband customer, can I add Home Phone?
Line transfers and installation
- I don't have a telephone line, how long will it take to get one and how much will it cost?
- If I transfer my line to John Lewis Broadband, will I keep my number?
- My line isn't with BT. Can I transfer to your service?
- How long does a transfer take and how much does it cost?
- Will transferring affect my directory status, line availability or broadband?
If there are problems
- How do I report a problem with my line?
- Can I get compensation if there's a problem with my phone line?
1. Who are your Home Phone packages available to?
Our packages are available to all new John Lewis Broadband customers.
2. What options are available and how much are they?
Line rental is £18.58 per month and you'll need to choose a call plan:
|Call plan||Cost||Are inclusive calls available?|
|Anytime||£6.28 per month||All day every day|
|Evening and Weekend||Inclusive||Evenings: 7pm-7am Mon-Fri
Weekends: Anytime on Saturday or Sunday
|Anytime and International||£8.37 per month||Anytime local and national calls|
- See our Price Guide and Non-Geographic Call Charges for setup fees and call rates
- Find out about inclusive calls in our Billing and call charges guide
3. What call features are available and how much are they?
See the table below. Some of these are inclusive and others cost a single use or monthly fee to use. For more detail and instructions on how to use them, please see our Call features guide.
|Call features||Monthly cost||Single use cost1||Available in bundle?|
|1471 Call Return||-||10.00p (plus the cost of the call if chargeable)||No|
|Anonymous Call Reject||£4.00||-||No|
|Call Barring - Premium Rates||£3.00||-||Yes (cannot be bundled with Call barring - Premium Rate and International)|
|Call Barring - Premium & International||£3.00||-||Yes (cannot be bundled with Call barring - Premium Rate)|
- Single use cost doesn't include call charges (where applicable)
- Although Voicemail is inclusive, you'll need to add it via the Home Phone control panel before you can use it
Choose 2 or more qualifying call features (as shown above) to create a bundle and save money.
|How many features chosen?||Monthly cost||Monthly saving|
|1||£3.00||no monthly saving|
|2 or more||£6.00||up to £9|
4. What's the minimum contract period?
Our packages have a 12-month contract.
5. Who will I pay my phone bills to?
You'll pay us for your line rental and call plan and call costs where applicable.
6. How much does it cost to make a call?
Don't forget that our call plans include calls to UK landlines at certain times. Please see our Billing and call charges guide to find out when these apply and what calls you can make.
7. Can I make Emergency or Operator calls?
Yes, you can dial 999 or 112 for Emergency calls and 100 for Operator calls (standard BT charges + a 5% admin charge apply to Operator calls).
8. I'm already a broadband customer, can I add Home Phone?
Yes, you can. Just log into My account and select the 'Product change' link.
Line transfers and installation
9. I don't have a telephone line, how long will it take to get one and how much will it cost?
To find out, please call our sales team.
|Type of installation||How long will it take?|
|Installing a brand new line||Depends on engineer appointment times|
|Starting a stopped phone line||Within 2-4 working days|
10. If I transfer my line to John Lewis Broadband, will I keep my number?
Yes, although in some extreme cases this might not be possible. If the number can't be kept, we'll contact you to discuss the options before starting the transfer.
11. I'm not with BT, can I transfer my line to John Lewis Broadband?
Yes, we can transfer lines in most areas, although we can't provide service to areas served by Kingston Communications (Hull).
12. How long does a transfer take and how much does it cost?
There's no charge to transfer a phone line from most providers. If you want to transfer from a cable provider then there may be a charge. To find out, please call our sales team.
How long it takes depends on where the line is being transferred from. More time is needed to transfer an LLU or cable service than a phone line that's already with BT. This is because we've got to ask for authorisation to transfer an LLU or cable service back to the BT network, before we send the order for the phone service. Authorisation can take up to 3 days.
|Moving from||Keeping current number?||Time to transfer phone line|
|BT||Yes||Within 2 weeks|
|LLU*||Yes||Within 2-3 weeks|
|No||Within 11 working days|
|An active cable line||Yes||Depends on engineer appointment times|
|A cable line that's not active||Yes||Within 2 weeks|
|No||Within 2-4 working days|
*LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) means a non-BT service offered by providers who use their own equipment in a telephone exchange (e.g. TalkTalk).
13. Will transferring affect my directory status, line availability or broadband?
No, your directory status will stay as it is with your current provider (if you want to change this you'll need to Contact us).
The transfer process is usually seamless, but in some cases your broadband and telephone services can be unavailable for up to half an hour.
If there are problems
14. How do I report a problem with my line?
If you want to report a problem, please contact Customer support.
Before you do, we recommend reading how to troubleshoot and report a line fault. You might be able to fix the problem yourself.
15. Can I get compensation if there's a problem with my phone line?
In some cases yes. We can claim compensation on your behalf for problems fixed outside of BT Openreach's Service Level Agreement. We can't guarantee that your claim will be upheld or be held liable for any additional costs which you are charged.
To make a claim, get in touch with us using Contact us. We'll assess your claim and if it's valid, we'll apply to BT Openreach for compensation on your behalf.
We're able to make claims for the any of the issues listed below:
- Problems arising from transferred services, new services or telephone line conversions
- Outgoing calls barred and temporary out of service
- Cease orders - failure to cancel the line on date specified
- Cancel own orders- failure of our request to cancel a pending order, (i.e. BT don't cancel the order on time)
- Failure of service - faults with the line (such as noise etc.)
- Appointments - engineers failing to meet appointments which have been booked
- Disconnections made in error - BT disconnecting a phone service when they are not entitled to do so
Compensation claims are limited to £180 per customer line per year.
Can't find what you're looking for?
If we've not been able to address your query through a support article please contact Customer support for further assistance.
Having problems with your broadband connection?
Use our Broadband troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the problem.
For full details of our current issues or any maintenance work that could be affecting your service please visit our Service Status site.